What to Expect
Your first visit?
Welcome! Everyone is welcome at Parkminster and we are so glad that you are considering joining us.
Our Sunday services are held at 10:00 am, and run until 11:15, with refreshments and fellowship afterwards. Parkminster’s services are vibrant and uplifting, and always filled with music. Our services themes and formats vary from week to week, so check out our Upcoming Services.
Children and Youth are a large part of our ministry and so all are welcome. We begin the service with them in the pews, but they are welcome to dance in the aisles while we sing. There will be a short children’s time when they are invited to the front of the church, before heading off for our Sunday morning activities (children ages 2-13 welcome).
There is a designated Young Family Worship Space at the back of the sanctuary where parents can soothe restless children, feed, or just connect with other parents, while still getting to be part of the service.
What should I expect when I arrive?
When you arrive at Parkminster you’ll see our Welcome Centre at the entrance and someone will be there to greet you and ask you to sign the guest register. Be sure to pick up a Parkminster brochure there–it provides information about all that goes on in our church.
We hope you’ll join us for coffee in the gym after the service. If you leave right after the service, the minister is at the door and glad to chat with you. As well as inviting you to return, we have a person with the minister who will make sure we have your name, email address, etc. You’ll likely receive a note or card thanking you for coming and encouraging you to come again.
We are also aware that some who come want to maintain their privacy, may want to take things slowly, and are only interested in coming to worship…and we respect that.
What should I wear and bring?
Dress however you are comfortable; from blue jeans to ties, all are welcome!
You do not need to bring anything with you, but are welcome to bring anything that would make the experience more enjoyable. Our pews do have cushions, but if you are more comfortable with a back cushion feel free to bring it.
What will happen during a Sunday service?
After you have been greeted at the Welcome table you can head upstairs to the Sanctuary. There you will find Greeters, a Parkminster Member, or Family who shake your hand and welcome you. Ushers will greet you at the door to the Sanctuary, and may help you find a seat.
The programming of Sunday morning services varies each week, but in general you can expect the following:
- We sing together often in a service: You will find hymn numbers denoted in the bulletin. We have two hymn books, both found in the pews; and a legend in the bulletin to help you find the right one. We usually stand to sing together.
- We pray: You will find time for prayer a few times in the service, in different ways.
- We listen: Our minister will share with us a message, with relevance to our current society and the events of the world. Messages are shared in many ways, using different cues, sometimes videos or pictures, but always shared as equals.
- We hear: We hear music from the many musical groups at Parkminster
- We get involved: There are always ways to connect to a Sunday service, through responsive prayers, singing, dramas, ect. You are always welcome to be as involved (or not involved) as you like.
- We also give financially to the work of the local and global church through an offering time, but if you are our guest, please do not feel obligated to give money.
We hope you will join us! If you have any questions you would like answered before or after your first visit, please Contact Us!